When to Refer?
1. Negative feelings about self--always putting self down.
2. Isolated--want to be alone or is often left alone and uninvolved.
3. Perfectionist--unrealistic goals.
4. Suspected emotional and/ or physical abuse.
5. Family transition/ divorce--recent divorce or separation, or unresolved "long term" longing for reconciliation.
6. Withdrawn--uncomfortable interacting with others.
7. Death of a loved one.
8. Concern that a student may harm themselves or others.
9. Adjusting to change in the family structure--family member in the hospital; parents absent more; additional people living in the home; new step-parent or new suitor for a parent.
10. Improved behavior--counselor will give positive reinforcement.
11. Academic problems or concerns-- aid in study skills and understanding talents and limitations.
12. TLC (tender, loving care) momentary need for TLC for any reason: a problem of the moment, peer rejection, upset about moving, feelings of inadequacy, or feelings of disappointment.